The Way We Grow
Our mandate is to provide healthy, nutritious food that meets the demands of an increasing population and a delicate planet.
It starts with a seed – all natural, non-GMO.
Windset Farms® quality starts with premium Non-GMO seedlings, nurtured in pristine conditions. Our years of experience ensure consistent product quality and performance from seed to fruit.
Our mandate is to provide reliable, healthy, and nutritious food that meets the demands of an increasing population and a delicate planet.
Our Sustainability Initiatives
- We collect and recirculate rainwater for irrigation, reuse hot water to heat our greenhouses at night, and recycle irrigation water repeatedly to maximize our plants’ uptake of nutrients.
- We combine reverse-osmosis and ozone with water recovery and recirculation systems to reuse our water supply, reducing waste.
- Our groundwater denitrification further treats our recovered wastewater by using biofilters, virtually eliminating all nitrates from water sent back into the ground.
- The extensive use of thermal screens within our greenhouses helps to prevent heat loss, and conserve energy.
- We value space, and use small plots of land to grow much larger crop sizes in greenhouses that could ever be achieved outdoors.
- Our Ultra-Clima Greenhouse® transforms the growing environment from a “passive” climate to an “active” climate, where 16 different growing parameters are controlled (including heat, humidity, pressure, and air movement).
- Our cutting-edge solar energy technology lowers our overall electrical footprint and dependency on local power grids, and our Santa Maria facility utilizes a 1 megawatt rooftop solar panel system.
- We collect CO2 from oil & gas refinery waste streams, as well as 100% of the CO2 generated from our onsite boilers for beneficial reuse in our facility. This collection assists in the photosynthesis process to grow more delicious vegetables.
Standards of Excellence
In 2012 SoCalGas publicly awarded Windset “…the largest energy efficiency incentive the utility has awarded to a customer in its 140 year history for its initiative to conserve energy and resources.”
Our best agricultural management practises for water treatment, reuse and recirculation have been heralded as “industry leading” by regional County agencies.
At Windset Farms®, our greenhouse staff receive extensive food safety training. The food safety policies and procedures we believe in encompass guidelines that are strictly enforced by every person who comes into contact with our fresh produce.
Our grading and packaging operations are audited and certified by an independent third party. All aspects of food safety are assessed, including sanitation, maintenance, employee training, and pest control programs. We’re proud to provide this certification to assure buyers and consumers that our produce and facilities are entirely food safe.
Integrated Pest Management
Controlling Pests - Naturally
Rather than battling bugs with pesticides, we have harnessed the powers of good bugs - natural predators who control the populations of harmful bugs, like aphids and spider-mites. This process is healthier for our crops, and our customers.
Storage & Handling
Our temperature and humidity controlled coolers allow us to care for, store and handle the plentiful bounty our greenhouses yield. After harvesting, produce is quickly graded, packaged and immediately chilled to maximize shelf-life.
Recycling & Composting
Working Towards a Better Future
We are committed to sustainability on all levels of our operations, right down to our packaging. All of our plastic shells and bags are fully recyclable. We also incorporate this way of thinking into how we grow.
To become fully compostable, we set to work developing biodegradable clips for holding our plants tall, and natural jute twine for tying them back. Every day, we are working hard to develop new composting methods and products to ensure a sustainable future for our farm, and your family.