If you have meatballs left over from this recipe. we suggest saving them for meatball sandwiches the next day!
- For the tomato sauce, coarsely chop 2/3 of the Roma tomatoes. Halve the remaining Romas and rub the cut sides against the large holes of a box grater set in a large bowl. Discard the skins.
- Toss the Roma tomato pulp with the chopped Roma tomatoes, garlic, salt, sugar, lemon juice and chilli flakes. Let stand at least 10 minutes.
- For the meatballs, preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- Heat butter and 1 Tbsp olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add shallots and pepper and sauté for 2 minutes. Add garlic, thyme and sage and sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly. Mix with the rest of the ingredients and form into balls.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add ¼ cup olive oil. Brown meatballs in batches and finish by cooking them in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes.
- Cook the spaghetti in a large pot of boiling, salted water until al denté.
- Drain in a colander and immediately add tomato sauce. Add as many meatballs as preferred and toss to combine.
- Sprinkle with fresh basil and grated Parmesan and serve.